These easy hot cocoa cookies are made with REAL hot chocolate mix and topped with REAL marshmallow creme. They are chewy, soft, and the perfect cozy treat.
This post contains affiliate links. This means, if you click a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at NO extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thanks!!
I have been brainstorming quick, easy holiday baking ideas, especially Christmas Cookie Recipes. Cookie swaps are such a big, holiday tradition for many people.
These easy hot cocoa cookies are PERFECT for a holiday cookie exchange. Or a fun, easy Christmas treat for your family.
For other Holiday baking ideas, please check out –
Easy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies (with Icing) – No Spread & No Chill
Cranberry Bliss Cookies – Just like Starbucks’ Cranberry Bliss Bars
These hot chocolate cookies can be made in one bowl (less dishes!) and whipped up in a matter of minutes.
They are chewy around the edges, soft in the middle, and taste like a mug of hot chocolate.
Made with REAL Hot Cocoa
Hot Cocoa is such a classic winter treat. Who doesn’t love cuddling up with a mug of hot chocolate on a cold, snowy day?
As kids, my mom always made us hot chocolate after a day of sledding. It’s such a nostalgic treat.
For these easy hot cocoa cookies, I use REAL hot chocolate mix. I legit open packets of hot chocolate that I already have in the house.
My family drinks Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix, so that is what I used. Feel free to use your own favorite brand.
Don’t miss out! Get updates on latest posts, coupon codes for my shop, and more by joining my email list below.
Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows
One of the BEST parts of hot chocolate is the marshmallows on top.
For these easy hot cocoa cookies, I melted Marshmallow Fluff with a little milk to use as a topping.
The only drawback is that, if you stack the cookies, the fluff does cause them to stick together.
If you layer wax paper in between, it seems to help.
Another option is to add marshmallow bits to the batter itself. That’s just as yummy!
If you decide to use the marshmallow creme topping, the decoration ideas are limitless, as the photos above and below show.
I like to use chopped up marshmallows and chocolate chips for a simple look.
If I want a more holiday feel, I’ll add chopped candy cane pieces or red sanding sugar.
The key is to add any marshmallows, chocolate shavings, sprinkles, or candy cane pieces IMMEDIATELY after icing a cookie with the marshmallow creme topping because it dries fast.
Easy Hot Cocoa Cookies – Made with Hot Chocolate Mix
For the Hot Cocoa Cookies:
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg large
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 packs Hot Cocoa Mix
For the Topping:
- 1 cup Marshmallow Fluff or Marshmallow Creme
- 2 Tbsp Milk
For Easy Hot Cocoa Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the hot cocoa mix.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract until just combined.
- Add the flour and baking soda. Mix.
- Scoop the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet
- Bake for about 9-11 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
For the Topping:
- In a small bowl, heat Marshmallow Fluff or another Marshmallow Creme in the microwave. (You can also do this in a saucepan on the stove). The goal is to melt it a little, so it’s easier to ice the cookies with.
- Add the milk to the Fluff to help thin the texture.
- Frost the cookies with the Fluff icing. I put it all over the top of some cookies and I drizzled it on others (see the above photo for reference).
- If you want to add sprinkles, candy canes, marshmallows, or chocolate chips, do so immediately after putting on the Fluff Marshmallow icing.