These easy hot cocoa cookies are made with REAL hot chocolate mix and topped with REAL marshmallow creme. They are chewy, soft, and one of the BEST Christmas cookies.
This post contains affiliate links. This means, if you click a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at NO extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thanks!!
I have been brainstorming quick, easy Christmas baking ideas, especially Christmas Cookie Recipes. Cookie swaps are such a big, holiday tradition for many people.
These easy hot cocoa cookies are PERFECT for a holiday cookie exchange. Or a fun, easy Christmas treat for your family.
These easy hot cocoa cookies can be made in one bowl (less dishes!) and whipped up in a matter of minutes.
They are chewy around the edges, soft in the middle, and taste like a mug of hot chocolate.
For other Christmas baking ideas, please check out –
Easy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies – The BEST Christmas Cookie
Christmas Cut-Out Sugar Cookies (with Icing) – No Spread & No Chill
Cranberry Bliss Cookies – Just like Starbucks’ Cranberry Bliss Bars
Easy Hot Cocoa Cookies
Hot Cocoa is such a classic winter treat. Who doesn’t love cuddling up with a mug of hot chocolate on a cold, snowy day?
As kids, my mom always made us hot chocolate after a day of sledding. It’s such a nostalgic treat.
For these easy hot cocoa cookies, I used REAL hot chocolate mix. I legit opened packets of hot chocolate that I already had in the house.
My family drinks Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix, so that is what I used. Feel free to use your own favorite brand.
Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows
One of the BEST parts of hot chocolate is the marshmallows on top.
For these easy hot cocoa cookies, I melted Marshmallow Fluff with a little milk to use as a topping.
The only drawback is that, if you stack the cookies, the fluff does cause them to stick together.
If you layer wax paper in between, it seems to help.
Another option is to add marshmallow bits to the batter itself. That’s just as yummy!
For more holiday ideas, please check out –
How to Make DIY Reindeer Candy Canes
How to Make DIY Reindeer Gift Bags
Ingredients for Easy Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1 Eggs
- 1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1.5 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 packs Hot Cocoa Mix, like Swiss Mix Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 cup Marshmallow Fluff or Marshmallow Creme
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
Optional additional toppings:
Sprinkles – I used Red Sanding Sugar like this one.
Crushed Candy Cane (like in the photo below)
Directions for Easy Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I like to use Reynolds Cookie Baking Sheets. They’re already pre-cut to fit most baking sheets.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the hot cocoa mix.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract until just combined.
- Add the flour and baking soda. Mix.
- Scoop the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. This is easier to do with a cookie scoop, like this Wilton Stainless Steel Cookie Scoop.
- Bake for about 9-11 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Directions for Easy Hot Cocoa Cookies Topping
- In a small bowl, heat Marshmallow Fluff or another Marshmallow Creme in the microwave. (You can also do this in a saucepan on the stove). The goal is to melt it a little, so it’s easier to ice the cookies with.
- Add the milk to the Fluff to help thin the texture.
- Frost the cookies with the Fluff icing. I put it all over the top of some cookies and I drizzled it on others (see the above photo for reference).
- If you want to add sprinkles, candy canes, marshmallows, or chocolate chips, do so immediately after putting on the Fluff Marshmallow icing.