I’ve been making these adorable Reindeer Candy Canes for YEARS. They’re super duper easy, simple, and adorable! I made almost a dozen in less than a half hour while watching Grey’s Anatomy, which means I may have taken a couple teary-eyed breaks (I definitely did).
This post may contain affiliate links. This means I may receive a small commission, at NO extra cost to you, if you click a link and make a purchase. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thank you for your support! <3
Reindeer Candy Cane Crafts
Reindeer Candy Canes are a holiday tradition of mine. I usually make them while watching Hallmark Christmas movies. They are great as gift toppers, table decorations, party treats, stocking stuffers, and more. I use them as a thank you with orders in my etsy shop (etsy.com/shop/lovemischka). I even make a similar bag!
Over the years, my design of the antlers became more and more complicated. They were beautiful, but took a lot of time and patience. Unfortunately, most of us don’t have the time for that. I realized that when trying to make larger versions of the complex antlers for mass orders of reindeer bags. It was time consuming and painful. I twisted so much that my fingertips were raw.
I simplified the antlers for this DIY guide. They are easy, quick, and cute! I will still explain how to enhance the antlers though, in case you want to do so.
Reindeer Candy Canes are also an inexpensive craft. I bought a variety of googly eyes (182 of them) at Warmart for under $3. The red pom poms were only $0.97 at Walmart. Candy Canes are about a dollar a box.
I don’t remember how much I paid for the brown pipe cleaners. I don’t recommend the brand I bought because the fabric shreds too much while twisting. Wires become exposed. I have to be careful cutting. I regret buying them in bulk.
Amazon has a cool set that includes red pom poms, googly eyes, and better quality pipe cleaners. It’s a one stop shop for most of what you need. You can check it out HERE.
I also include cute bows around the “neck” of my Reindeer Candy Canes. To me, they look naked without them. I prefer bows that tie around the candy cane, like these mini red ones.
List of Materials
Brown Pipe Cleaners
Googly Eyes (I prefer the BIG ones, but like to use all the different sizes. Everyone is different, including reindeers!)
1 inch red pom poms
Glue gun (This mini one actually stays standing!!! After years of having one that CONSTANTLY fell over, this is like heaven on earth.)
Glue for the glue gun
How to Make Reindeer Candy Canes
- Take a brown pipe cleaner and fold it in half. Cut at the crease.
- Repeat #1 with another pipe cleaner.
- Take two of the half pieces and fold them in half. Cut those at the bend.
4. Twist one of the shorter pipe cleaners (1/4 of the original) around one of the halves.
5. Repeat #4.
6. Bend the pipe cleaner with the added, twisted pieces in half.
7. Place the arch of a candy in the middle.
8. Twist the pipe cleaner around the candy cane. Secure it tightly, but be careful. I’ve broken a few candy canes this way.
9. Play, bend, and manipulate the pipe cleaners until they look like antlers!
10. If you would like more complex antlers, just cut smaller pieces of pipe cleaner and wrap those around various parts of the antlers. You can add them to the 1/4 pieces or to the main pipe cleaner. It is up to you!
11. Glue two of the googly eyes on the candy cane with a hot glue gun.
12. Glue one of the red pom poms on the tip of the candy cane.
13. Tie the bow around the reindeer’s “neck”. I usually do this across and under the nose, if that makes sense.
And, you’re done!
I hope you and your loved ones enjoy these Reindeer Candy Canes!!!
What is your go-to holiday craft? I’d love to know! Share below!
Please follow Love Mischka on Pinterest HERE. Thank you!