This simple recipe creates the BEST Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins. They’re tender, moist, and absolutely delicious. The refreshing, bright, tangy flavor of lemon mixed with the sweetness of fresh blueberries is heavenly. It is the perfect, easy recipe for summer!
This post contains affiliate links. This means, if you click a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at NO extra cost to you. I only recommend products I use and love. Thank you for your support! <3
Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins
One of my closest friends recently adapted my Lemon Loaf Bread recipe into Lemon Blueberry Muffins for her mom. They are both big fans of the Lemon Bread, but her mother prefers it without the glaze. She asked if they could be turned into muffins. My friend made it happen and they were amazing.
I needed to try it for myself. The same friend recently sent me a box of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Flour for my birthday. I was (and still am) ecstatic. I have been eating mostly gluten-free again. If I have too much gluten… oy vey! I’ll save you the details for now!
It’s a good thing I made these Lemon Blueberry Muffins gluten-free… because I cannot stop eating them!!!
They are SO good. Full of fresh blueberries. Bursting with refreshing lemon flavor. I’m going to go have another one right now… I’m serious.
The BEST Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins
These tender, moist, scrumptious muffins are made with FRESH lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract for tangy perfection.
It is important to use FRESH lemon juice in this recipe. Not what comes in those plastic, lemon-shaped containers. It really does make a difference in flavor.
Fresh lemon juice (and zest) creates a more natural, refreshing, bright citrus taste.
I understand squeezing lemons by hand can be a hassle. This is why I recommend using a lemon press like this Manual Fresh Juice Squeezer. It gets every last drop of juice from your lemon without getting any seeds in your juice. It also saves time and effort. I’m obsessed.
For other easy lemon recipes, please check out:
How to Make Lemon Loaf Bread
Easy, Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
Super Moist, Easy Lemon Cake with Delicious Lemon Buttercream
I clearly LOVE lemon desserts!
Fresh or Frozen Blueberries?
I have only used fresh blueberries with this recipe. They are currently in season and I’ve been eating them by the handful, so I already had some in the fridge.
You can use frozen blueberries though. Some people recommend adding them while they are still frozen. Personally, I would thaw them before using. Otherwise, the muffins will probably take longer to bake.
If you use fresh blueberries, please remember to pick out any stems or moldy berries. Then, rinse them before using.
Save and organize your recipes with this adorable Recipe Card Printable. Available HERE.
An editable, Recipe Binder Printable Kit will be available soon. Please sign up for the Love Mischka Mailing List below to receive updates and a special coupon code!
Tips for the BEST Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- This is the MOST important tip. Do NOT over-mix the batter. Over-mixing the batter can lead to dense muffins. If you don’t mind this, then mix away. If you want light and fluffy muffins, mix all the ingredients until they are just combined. There will still be some lumps, but that’s okay!
- Use FRESH lemon juice. I stated the importance of this above. I also talk about it in some of my other lemon recipes – How to Make Lemon Loaf Bread & Easy, Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies.
- Once again, a lemon press is incredibly helpful to get every last drop of juice out of your lemon without any seeds. I like this Manual Fresh Juice Squeezer.
- When dividing the batter into the muffin cups, use an ice cream scoop! This trick will give you evenly filled cups, take less time, and make less of a mess.
- Enjoy the process! Baking is supposed to fun. And you get a pretty awesome treat at the end!
Yields a dozen muffins (when using an ice cream scoop to fill the cups).
- 1.5 Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tsp. Lemon Zest*
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice*
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Lemon Extract
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Blueberries
*You will need 1-2 lemons, depending on their size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 12-count muffin pan by lining the cups with paper liners or greasing them with oil or a nonstick cooking spray.
- Zest a fresh lemon. This is easier to do with a zester like this Citrus Zester & Cheese Grater. Gather the zest on a small plate or in a small bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon over another small bowl to prepare the juice.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and the sugar.
- Add the milk, eggs, lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- In another medium mixing bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just combined. Over-mixing the batter will lead to a dense texture.
- Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries.
- Divide the batter into the cups of the 12-count muffin pan with an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until done. Oven times can vary. Please check the muffins by inserting a clean, wooden toothpick. If it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
- Let cool in the pan for about 20 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack for another 20 minutes or so.
Store the Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep for almost a week.